Merry All the Way!
How exciting! I love having family and friends in the end-of-year events. Carols are my favourite!
It could be complicated to manage all events of the season and it is important you pay attention on how much you drink and eat at every meeting. It could be a high caloric highway and could end up in tears.
Here are some strategies to be merry and to exercise some control:
*Eat a light meal before going to your event, a light soup or salad
* Plan your after event food at home. Have a light soup ready at home for when you come back from your event or a yogurt with fruit compote
*At the event: Accept your Welcome drink and then switch to water. It is not necessary to finish all the glass
* Choose food with high protein content or one with vegetables. You will feel satiated without consuming high excess of calories from fat and gluten
* At the end, try to choose one sweet bite with fruit or nuts, it will have more fiber
* If you are hosting, choose to offer fun low calorie options as well. More fiber and less salt will be good for all. Give love this way without going crazy with the budget for your event
Ideas of healthy canapes, you could find the recipes online
Vietnamese prawn and mint rice paper
Vegetarian rice patties with vegetable toppings
Endive leaves with sashimi tuna
Roasted beetroot hummus with yoghurt dip
Cucumber cups with salmon tartare
Sun-dried tomato and ricotta dip
Corn blinis with smoked trout
Pea coarse puree and chili prawn crostini
Beetroot, goat's cheese and mint blinis
Honeydew melon with prosciutto and bocconcini
Turmeric blini with beetroot hummus and roasted cauliflower
Avocado feta mousse with any cracker
Spinach and feta puffs
Vegan stuffed mushrooms
Spinach and feta cheese in phyllo dough
*Remember to limit your alcohol intake. You will save a lot of calories this way!
* Drink 1-2 glass of water before you drink another glass of alcohol
Try non-alcoholic botanical blends, they are delicious and not necessarily full of sugar. Add sparkling water or just ice
* Keep moving! Walk to your event, dance if there is good music, and plan a long walk 2-3 hours once a week
You will hopefully be merrier and healthier if you follow these tips!